Monday, May 21, 2012

History #2

Is the New Testament reliable?
The reliability of the Bible is huge for the Christian faith because if some of it is incorrect then all the credibility goes out the window. So this is a very valid question to ask. I myself asked this same question a couple of years ago, because I didn’t want to waste my life on something that wasn’t even true. I needed to know for sure. So I did some research and asked some questions at school. The facts amazed me.
I believe that the New Testament is a reliable source because there are over 5,000 ancient copies. And 99 percent of these match up perfectly. That is pretty amazing. The gap between the dates it was written and the earliest copy is only about a hundred years. This is quite incredible considering that most of the classics have gaps averaging about 1,000 years. Another thing is that back then all people would learn through stories. This is called “oral tradition.” During that time Jewish children were taught to memorize material very accurately. So knowing this it is not hard to believe that the stories were remembered accurately. Knowing all of the facts it is safe to say that the Bible is true because there is more evidence for it than any other ancient text. Remember you have to assume that the text is innocent until proven guilty, and over the period of thousands of years not one person has been successful in finding a contradiction in the Bible or proving it historically inaccurate. Therefore because of this I believe that the New Testament is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment